Wednesday, September 12, 2012

DIY woodwork with found objects

We have a beautiful old timber bench in our kitchen. Which I scored FREE because it was being thrown out and about to be sent to landfill. The bench was perfect in every way, but was missing a drawer. This is the story of How the bench got its drawer.

Last Friday, I was lucky enough to find an old timber drawer being thrown out on Little Eveleigh St in Redfern. However it was 15cm too long for our bench, so I cut it down.

This what it looked like after cut down and sanded. But it still wasn't fitting, so...

I went to The Bower in Marrickville and bought a little hand plane for $4 to shave the sides down a touch.


One of my favourite details is the dovetail joint:


The drawer now fits!
I also made a timber knife and fork divider for the drawer. I used $2 worth of timber from The Bower and some wood I found dumped in a laneway a couple of streets away.

I wanted to retain the original quality and style of the timber bench. I'm amazed at how well it all came together. 
I find imagining a found object's potential is extremely rewarding, and wish more people would repair and fix things. Each time I find something and fix it up, I feel I've saved it and I enjoy the process.


3 comments:

  1. Fantastic work Joel - looks beautiful and so nice to think that the trees harvested for the original pieces have become a part of yr recycling endeavours in a whole new object + home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. add tag: sustainability

    I love the timber bench!

    ReplyDelete
  3. add tag: sustainability

    I love the timber bench!

    ReplyDelete